Transmission fluid improves the performance of your transmission by lubricating the numerous moving parts. It also serves as a coolant and aids in the transfer of engine power to the transmission if you have an automatic transmission.
The transmission fluid, like your engine oil, will degrade over time. Its capacity to keep your transmission lubricated and transfer power will be harmed when it becomes unclean and blocked with debris. Changing your transmission fluid is a cost-effective approach to keep your systems in peak shape and avoid complicated expensive repairs. In this post, we’ll look at some indicators that it’s time to replace your transmission fluid filter, as well as when and where to start the procedure.
Signs That Indicate the Need for a Transmission Fluid Change
- Presence of leaks: If you notice wet droplets beneath your car, it is very possible that your transmission fluid is leaking. You should keep in mind that transmission fluid has a thin viscosity and can range in hue from a red color to light brown while inspecting the fluid on the ground.
- The Check Engine Warning Light: The check engine light, among other things, is an important indicator that there may be a gearbox problem. If the check engine light comes on unexpectedly, make an appointment with a skilled mechanic as soon as possible.
- Burning Smell: If you notice a burning odor, it can only be a foreshadowing of something wrong with your Lexus. If you’re catching a whiff of such, it is probably time to change the transmission fluid.
- Gear Problems: If you’re experiencing any of these four problems with your gear, it’s very likely that your transmission fluid is to blame:
- grinding sounds
- shifting shakes
- gear hesitation
- difficult or slow acceleration
Transmission Fluid Inspection
If you notice any of these problems and decide to inspect the transmission fluid for yourself to see if it needs to be changed, keep the following in mind:
- Color: Transmission fluids range in color from a clear red hue to light brown. If it appears any darker than that, it is unlikely to be in good health. If it’s black or dark brown, have it flushed by a professional. A dark hue indicates that there is a serious problem with the gearbox and that the fluid should be replaced as soon as possible.
- Cleanliness: Ensure to have your transmission fluid cleaned right immediately you find debris or bubbles in it.
- Odor: If your fluid is in good condition, it shouldn’t have a strong smell. Keep an eye out for any signs of burning. If you detect a burning odor, you should get your transmission inspected by a professional.
When Should You Replace Your Transmission Fluid?
- Every 30,000 to 60,000 miles or once a year: For the average driver, this is the best schedule. There are exceptions depending upon usage. You can change the fluid more frequently to get better results from your transmission, while it is advised that you do so at least once a year or after 30,000 You will also be able to save money.
- If You Live in a Hot Climate: You must also change your transmission fluid frequently if you live in a hot climate. This is because when the temperature outside rises, the temperature within the transmission rises as well, this causes a degradation of the transmission fluid.
- After Heavy Hauling: Your transmission fluid should be changed after your vehicle has been subjected to heavy hauling. This is due to the temperature of the transmission rising during hauling trailers or mountain driving, as this results in fluid degradation.
The Best Shop to Replace Your Fluid Transmission Filter
Lexus automobiles are built to last as long as they are properly maintained. To guarantee that your vehicle covers as many miles as possible, you should have it serviced by professionals. That said, if you have a transmission problem or need transmission repair, you should bring your automobile to Tanner Motors right away. We’ve been providing assistance to European car owners all throughout Phoenix, Arizona since 1945.
We have a team of experts with the necessary experience and expertise to ensure that your transmission is changed correctly and without issues, so give us a call today!